Ram 1500 Towing Capacity
Pickup trucks have evolved from functional work companions to excellent all-around vehicles. They can also be great family cars and perform well off-road. Whether you’re looking for a pickup truck that can haul what you need for work or bring along a boat or camper on your next family adventure, the truck’s towing capacity should be able to handle the job. The 2023 Ram 1500, as a useful and comfortable vehicle with excellent towing capabilities, can do just that.
What Is Towing Capacity?
Towing capacity is the weight that a vehicle can safely pull, and the factors that influence it are the vehicle’s torque, horsepower, and weight. Other elements, like adaptable suspensions and traction systems, can make a considerable difference as well. Each vehicle make and model has its own manufacturer-specified maximum towing capacity, which is helpful because it can make it easier to choose one based on your towing needs.
What Is the 2023 Ram 1500’s Towing Capacity?
Since engine power and torque are the main variables when it comes to towing capacity, the easiest way to understand how much the Ram 1500 can tow is by analyzing each available engine type:
- 3.6-liter V-6: This is the Ram 1500’s base engine and can produce up to 305 horsepower and 273 lb-ft of torque with the help of an eTorque system. This output results in a maximum towing capacity of 7,730 pounds, which should be more than enough for most towing needs.
- 5.7-liter HEMI V-8: This engine choice has the highest maximum towing capacity in the Ram 1500’s lineup. The 395 horsepower and 410 lb-ft of torque are enough to tow an amazing 12,750 pounds, with the help of the available Max Tow Package, which adds multiple tow-specific features.
- 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6: Diesels are known for their high towing capacity, and the Ram 1500’s diesel engine makes no difference. It can produce up to 260 horsepower and 480 lb-ft of torque and has a maximum towing capacity of 9,600 pounds.
- 6.2-liter HEMI V-8: Although by far the most powerful engine in Ram 1500’s lineup with 702 horsepower and 650 lb-ft of torque, this powertrain is only available for the Ram 1500’s TRX trim, which is off-road-focused. It still boasts a more than respectable maximum towing capacity of 8,100 pounds.
2023 Ram 1500 Tow Accessories
Although power and torque are the main determinants of how much a vehicle can tow, adding specific features can make a significant difference in your ability to drive safely while towing. Some of the most useful on the Ram 1500 are:
- 360-degree surround camera: It’s important to remember that maneuvering a truck with an attached trailer is a much more challenging experience. Knowing where everything is around you at all times is crucial, so having a camera giving you a full surround view of your truck can make a big difference.
- Hill start assist: This system senses when your Ram 1500 isn’t on level ground and prevents it from going backward. While this is nice to have when you’re not towing anything, it’s particularly useful when you’re pulling a trailer or boat.
- Electronic stability control with trailer sway control: This system detects any side-to-side motion from your Ram 1500 and uses it to determine if your trailer is swaying. If the trailer movements aren’t caused by your steering, the system immediately takes action to stop the swaying and keep both your vehicle and its trailer steady.
- Trailer tire pressure monitor and light check: Having a trailer with fully inflated tires and functioning lights can improve its stability and visibility. This system makes things easier for you by automatically detecting any issues with the trailer’s tires and lights.
- Electronic roll mitigation: This system analyzes your vehicle’s behavior and aims to detect any risk of it rolling over in either direction. It automatically reduces the engine power and brakes when it senses any wheel lift.
Useful Towing Tips
These general tips can help you have a safe and fun towing experience:
- Never exceed your vehicle’s towing capacity. Although you’re unlikely to tow something that exceeds the 2023 Ram 1500’s towing capacity, it’s important that you stay within the mentioned limits. If you do need more, a Ram 2500 or Ram 3500 may be better choices for you.
- Keep plenty of distance between your Ram 1500 and the car in front of you. Carrying an extra few thousand pounds will significantly increase your braking distance. Remember to keep a larger distance from the vehicle in front of you than you would if you were driving without an attached trailer, as this compensates for the increased braking distance required.
- Don’t make sudden moves. Despite all the stability control features, it’s still advisable to avoid any sudden maneuvers. Besides potentially losing control of your vehicle, suddenly cornering or changing lanes can also increase the likelihood of you hitting other vehicles around you.
- Keep your truck in good condition. Keeping your Ram 1500 well maintained is always a good idea, but it’s particularly important if you’re towing heavy loads. Remove any unnecessary weight from your truck, as this can reduce your towing capacity, and make sure all your tires are inflated properly.
- Distribute your cargo weight evenly. When loading your cargo, it’s essential that you avoid putting too much weight on one side. This can move the center of gravity and cause your truck to lose some of its stability when driving.
- Plan your trips to avoid tight spaces. Before starting your trip with a heavy load attached to your Ram 1500, try to foresee any situations that may be challenging to navigate with a trailer. This can include various types of locations, such as crowded city streets and parking lots.
The Ram 1500 is a great truck for most drivers who tow heavy loads, either at work or on road trips. Its relatively small size for a versatile vehicle and high maximum towing limits are just some of the features that make it adaptable to your work and play. If you’d like to see it for yourself and take it for a test drive to explore some of its features, contact us at Yaklin CDJR of Angleton to schedule a visit.